First mentioned in Roman recipe books, meatloaf is a traditional dish with a history dating back to the 5th century.
Generally, it consists of ground meat and various ingredients formed into a ‘loaf’ shape.
There are all sorts of different variations and different countries—and even regions—have their unique recipe.
Despite not being the most adventurous of cooks, I have my own particular recipe too – and this one is it!
This recipe is for a bacon-wrapped keto meatloaf.
In addition to being a very low carb recipe, the meatloaf is mixed with tasty seasonings, covered in melted cheese and then wrapped in bacon.
To make this low carb meatloaf is a little time-consuming, but the reward is more than worth the effort.
|Preparation Time:||30 minutes|
|Cooking Time:||1 hour|
|Total Time:||1 hour 30 minutes|
|Oven Temperature:||175°C / 350°C|
|Difficulty Level:||Easy – Medium|
The preparation time comes in at around half an hour, and much of this is for making the bacon weave coating.
If you preheat the oven to 175°C, the total time requirement should be approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Two potential problems with meatloaf are either being too bland or not being the right texture.
The ingredients for this recipe are designed to keep a firm and chewy (but not dry) texture that is full of flavor.
|Ground Beef (80% lean)||1.5kg / 3.3lbs|
|Bacon||454g / 1 lb|
|Cheese||200g / 7 oz|
|Almond Flour||100g / 3.5 oz|
|Chives||55g / 2 oz|
|Italian Seasoning||1 tbsp|
|Wholegrain Mustard||1 tbsp|
|Red Wine Vinegar||1 tsp|
|Pepper||Sprinkle / to taste|
If you haven’t used almond flour before, you should know that it’s not necessary to buy ready-made flour.
In fact, if you have a food processor or blender, you can easily make almond flour yourself by blending whole almond nuts. It’s much cheaper and only takes about 30 seconds!
Regarding the Italian seasoning, this is a combination of Mediterranean herbs such as marjoram, thyme, and sage, which give the dish a deep flavor. It’s available here.
How to Make Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf
Follow these simple directions to prepare the meatloaf, and it should take approximately 30 minutes or less.
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 175°C (350°C).
- Step 2: Chop the chives into small pieces and grate the cheese.
- Step 3: Put all the ground beef into a large mixing bowl and add the almond flour, chives, egg, Italian seasoning, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Step 4: Mix everything well, ensuring you spread the ingredients and seasonings through the mixture equally.
- Step 5: Move the mixture into a greased baking tray, and form the meatloaf into a rectangular shape. Ensure the meatloaf has an equal depth throughout by pressing down on each area with your hands.
- Step 6: Spread the wholegrain mustard over the top of the meatloaf, distributing it equally along the surface.
- Step 7: Put the grated cheese on top of the mustard-covered meatloaf, also ensuring an even distribution. You may use whichever cheese you like, but medium-hard cheeses such as Edam, mozzarella, gouda, gruyere, and cheddar work well.
- Step 8: Make a bacon weave. This is probably the most difficult part of the entire recipe, but it’s not so hard once you get the hang of it. The video below demonstrates how to weave slices of bacon;
- Step 9: Once the bacon weave is ready, place it on top of the cheese-covered meatloaf. Pull the slices of bacon down the sides of the meatloaf and wrap them underneath. You now have a bacon-wrapped meatloaf!
- Step 10: Glaze the top of the meatloaf with red wine vinegar, and then sprinkle some more black pepper on it.
- Step 11: Put the meatloaf in the oven and cook for about 1 hour at 175°C (350°F). On top of the meatloaf, you’ll now see delicious melted cheese encased inside a crispy bacon coating. There are many delicious food combinations out there, but not many beat the taste of bacon and cheese.
Here’s one I made earlier;
It was very yummy too!
Using More Vegetables?
Many vegetables—especially things like garlic, shallots, and onions—help add a lot of flavors.
However, they also make the meatloaf a lot moister due to their water content.
For this reason, it’s better to serve any vegetables you want alongside the meatloaf.
Nutrition Facts and Information
Total Servings: 10 pieces Per Serving: 1 piece Calories: 708 kcal Carbohydrate: 3.95 g – Fiber: 1.85 g – Sugars: 0.8 g Fat: 54.5 g – Saturated: 19.1 g – Monounsaturated: 24.4 g – Polyunsaturated: 4.5 g – Protein: 49 g
|Total Servings:||10 pieces|
|Per Serving:||1 piece|
|– Fiber:||1.85 g|
|– Sugars:||0.8 g|
|– Saturated:||19.1 g|
|– Monounsaturated:||24.4 g|
|– Polyunsaturated:||4.5 g|
|– Protein:||49 g|
As shown above, one serving provides an ample amount of dietary fat and protein.
Each portion is also very low in carbohydrate, which makes the meatloaf keto-friendly.
In addition to being suitable for ketogenic diets—and unlike traditional recipes—this meatloaf is also gluten-free.
Vitamins (per serving)
|Vitamin||Amount (% RDA)|
|Thiamin (Vitamin B1):||15.8%|
|Riboflavin (Vitamin B2):||34.8%|
|Niacin (Vitamin B3):||52.7%|
|Folate (Vitamin B9):||7.8%|
|Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B5)||13.4%|
While a bacon-wrapped meatloaf is more about the taste experience, it also offers a fair amount of vitamins.
The meatloaf is particularly high in B vitamins due to the high meat content, but also provides a decent amount of vitamins E and K.
Minerals (per serving)
|Mineral||Amount (% RDA)|
One portion of meatloaf provides large amounts of most minerals, especially zinc, phopsphorus, and selenium.
Serve the meatloaf alongside some sauteed green beans, onions and garlic for a tasty side-dish.
More Keto Recipes